Horizon 2020 is the biggest EU Research and Innovation programme ever with nearly €80 billion of funding available over 7 years (2014 to 2020) – in addition to the private investment that this money will attract. It promises more breakthroughs, discoveries and world-firsts by taking great ideas from the lab to the market.
Innovation in SMEs in H2020
Horizon 2020 actively supports SMEs by providing both direct financial support, and indirect support to increase their innovation capacity. 'Innovation in SMEs' aims at creating a bridge between the core of the framework programme - support to research, development and innovation projects - and the creation of a favourable ecosystem for SME innovation and growth.
The new Programme for the Competitiveness of Enterprises and Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (COSME) will run from 2014 to 2020.
This programme supports different key actions as access to finance for SME’s, initiatives to foster entrepreneurship, access to markets, but also the Enterprise Europe Network, as “one-stop shop” for the business needs of SME’s in the EU and beyond. The main objectives of Cosme are the following :
- facilitating access to finance for SMEs
- creating an environment favourable to business creation and growth
- encouraging an entrepreneurial culture in Europe
- increasing the sustainable competitiveness of EU companies
- helping small businesses operate outside their home countries and improving their access to markets